Bangalore, a city with a distant history has been a house of some of the ancient structures. One such building which stands out from rest is the Tipu Sultan Fort. It is one of the ancient buildings in the entire south. It is situated in the ever-bustling Krishna Rajendra city market at the intersection of Krishna Rajendra Road and Albert Victoria Road. The place is also known as the “Abode of Happiness”.
The traces of the fort date back to 1537. Kempe Gowda constructed a mud fort which was spread over 1 mile protected by trench and nine gates. This fort in the year 1761 was renovated by Haider Ali using stone this time. It is said that Haider Ali captured several British Army officers and was kept in this very fort. Tipu Sultan son of Hider Ali later was the one who finished construction of Tipu’s fort in the year 1791.
The fort has witnessed some of the fearsome battles from the pre-independence era. It was attacked by the Army of British East India Company in the year 1791. 2000 men were killed in this particular battle. On 21st March the British army was able to break the walls of the fort near the Delhi gate and captured it.
The fort is still strong and upright till this very day which shows the quality of the builders in those days. The fort is one of the rare instances where the stability of a particular building is still constant.
The fort was built on a huge stone which is the base of the entire structure. The interiors of the fort were made of wood, stone, mortar and plaster. The building is a two-storied one which is accompanied by detailedly carved wooden pillars which rest on the stone. The pillars and walls are so carefully carved that it looks like the pillars are emerging from the flowers.
One can reach the first floor by four staircases which are situated in the four corners. It leads to a mammoth hall which was used for organising meetings. The rooms which contained the staircase were known as Zenana rooms for all the female members of the royal family. Two balconies are erected on the east and west side of the hall.
This fort now is converted into a museum which showcases the artefacts and antiques of the Royal Mysore king. The crown and clothes of the Royal king made of gold and silver are displayed here. The architecture and the collection of the royal dynasty are sure to make visitors transport to the pre-independence era. The fort is one of the major tourist attractions of the city.
Apart from the ornaments and artefacts the fort also houses a temple of Lord Ganesha. This temple has often represented the religious tolerance the Kings possessed in those days. No compromises are shown in the way this temple is built. The fort also consists an art gallery displaying paintings from the past era. The place has attracted historians and archaeologists alike apart from common visitors.